Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Textile patterns with Illustrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

sa77

Vendor
May 25, 2005
FI
Is there a good way to make repeating textile designs with Illustrator? If I try to make a repeat with the define pattern -feature it won't repeat. I mean that when I put two pieces of the pattern together they don't match (repeat without cuts). Until now I have made repeating textile designs with Photoshop but would like to do the same in vector format. Hopefully someone understands what I mean and can help. Thank you!

Thanks Andrew,

I guess this requires some practice... I manage to create patterns but when I put two similar patterns together they still don't match and repeat continuously (if used for instance on fabric). Must study some more...

But I truly appreciate your help!

...textile patterns are a tricky area indeed, an real art in its own right to create a successful pattern that is complex and repeats well...

...maths is the key i believe to create a decent tiling effect...

...here are two basic examples, fully functional infinite patterns...

all the best
Andrew

...as i mentioned, the origin point is important, this is the white box found at the top left of any window with rulers visible, you can drag this to define the documents zero point for x and y coordinates...

andrew

A really handy way to make a pattern and have it tile well, is to go about it like so:

1. Draw your basic desired pattern tile;

2. Go to Effect>Distort & Transform>Transform, and in the box for horizontal move enter the width of the desired tile, enter "2" for the number of copies;

3. Go to Effect>Distort & Transform>Transform again, acknowledge the dialog that comes up about adding another instance of the effect, and in the box for vertical move, enter the desired pattern tile height (as a NEGATIVE) and "2" for the number of copies;

Now, you have 9 tiles, the top left is the "live" tile, and you can look at the center tile to watch how it's tiling.

Play with this a little, and when you're done you can expand, and use the center tile to crop the actual pattern.

Bert

I'd also like to suggest doing a Google search for "Tesselations" and "Illustrator" and see what comes up. "Tesselations" is the mathematical name for flawlessly tiling patterns, up to waaaaaay complicated ones like Escher did.

Bert

Here's the method I told you about earlier, with some pics.

1. Draw the intended contents of one tile, then go to Effect>Distort&Transform>Transform. Enter the width of the tile as the horizontal move distance, and enter 2 copies. You'll get 3 total tiles:

patterntile01.gif

2. Do the same vertically:

patterntile03.gif

The result:

patterntile02.gif

3. manipulate elements in the top left tile, and see them all update together:

patterntile04.gif

In the end, you can expand the appearance, and distill the center tile with all its contents. You'll have to make sure to include neighboring elements that cross over into the center tile. Send the unstroked and unfilled rectangle to the BACK, and it will create a boundary for the tile, even if elements stick out over the edges.

Bert

I have learned something new from you, but I guess these things need practice before things go smoothly... I will google some more info and study your examples more thoroughly. But it seems that Photoshop is more handy when it comes to more complex patterns (or perhaps it's just something I have got used to...)

Andrew, for instance about the dotted pattern sample... If I wanted some space between the dots (pieces of pattern) should I just add a white box behind the dots (that expands the pattern) or is there some other way to do this and keep the transparency?

Thanks again!

SA:

Simply put an unfilled, unstroked rectangle of the tile size all the way at the back of the art (Hit Ctrl-Shift-[) and Illustrator will use that as the boundary of the pattern.

Bert

...a very thorough explanation from itchybug, excellent tip to take note of for creating really complex patterns...

...of course to fill a defined sized area with a complex shape and then line those defined areas up side by side and match seamlessly, will mean extra thought into pattern size and the size of area it will fill...

...have fun!!!

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back