Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TextField polymorphism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theotrain

Programmer
Mar 5, 2003
MX
ive created an object that extends TextField, let's say "MyTextField". i just want it to be a TextField with a few extra functions.

i have a flash component that takes a TextField instance name as a parameter. my goal is to dynamically create a MyTextField and have the component use that, but it seems to choke, presumably because it sees its not a TextField. it seems the program doesnt really "know" that MyTextField has all the properties of a TextField and should be able to stand in for one.

simply casting it to a TextField doesnt seem to work either, unsurprisingly. so whats the best way to go here?

im just looking for the simplest way that i can use MyTextfield in code that calls for a TextField. im sorta familiar with oop basics... but not much real experience.

thanks>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back