Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Textfield Colour Changer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalar

Programmer
Sep 19, 2004
GB
Hi,
Bit confused on the code for this...

I am working on a application where I have a table with one cell (1X1) -

Next to the table I have 1 Textfield... I wish to allow the user to enter a #hex code into the textfield, so the data input example would be:

INPUT: #cccccc

Once he/she has inserted this code into the textfield - I would like the background colour of the table to change to match this color - in other words the user is defining the background colour of the cell as the change the value of the textfield..

Something like the below, which you would pass the id of the table and this.value from the text input, probably from the onchange event.

Code:
function changeBackgroundColor( objStr, newColor ) {

obj = document.getElementById( objStr );
  obj.style.backgroundColor = newColor;
}

I'd recommend validating the new colour value btw.

HTH.

Two things to add to theboyhope's code:

[ol]
[li]getElementById does not work in all browsers. I recommend replacing that line with this: [tt]obj = document.form_name.elements['textbox_name'];[/tt][/li]
[li]In some browsers, you cannot set the style properties of an object unless the style is already set. So, in your textbox tag, put something like: [tt]<input type="text" name="texbox_name" style="background-color: #ffffff;">[/tt][/li]
[/ol]

Hope that helps.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
When will I be able to see what other members can see about myself? It's been like, a freakin' month already!

NS4 had an elements array? Good thinking in that case. :)

Is point two for NS4, too? I haven't heard of that one.

To be honest, I'm not sure which browser, but I do remember coming across this problem at one point.

Yet another way to reference the form's text object would be by name: [tt]obj = document.form_name.textbox_name;[/tt]

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
When will I be able to see what other members can see about myself? It's been like, a freakin' month already!

Hmmm ... give us a shout if you remember which browser will ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back