Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

textbox to pull url

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzsurf03

MIS
Dec 13, 2002
US
I want to know how to code in HTML a hyperlink that will open whatever hyperlink is in the text page on the page. Basically, it will be a textbox with a submit button on page. I want the hyperlink to open the page within my website.

Can I do something like:
<A href=TextBox></a>

The reason for this is my company has a ton of filters on what webpages I can view. However, I know that I can view my own personal website. I figured it would be my host calling the url's that I type into the text box and my company's filters would not even know that I have strayed from my website.

If that assumption is not correct, let me know.

Thanks for any help.

in your link or button:

onclick = "document.location = document.getElementByID("nameOfTextBoxHere").value"

i think...

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Very likely not correct because HTTP referrer doesn't matter. Content filtering software usually checks only whether URL is blacklisted or not.

Wanna still give it a try, this requires a little bit of javascript:
Code:
<form onsubmit = "window.location.href = this.targetURL.value; return false;">
URL:<input type="text" name="targetURL" value="[URL unfurl="true"]http://"[/URL] size="64" maxlength="255">
<input type="submit" value="Go">
</form>

bla... should have read the whole post. chances are it's blocked by IP. it doesn't matter how you get there, it will not let you access it. If you have a website you NEED to go to you should be able to talk to your company's security dept and have the filter removed. I'm going through a similar fight right now.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

I don't think they would approve espn.com, nascar.com, and especially monster.com!

Thanks though.

they probably don't allow either ;)

I know this is really "complicated" - or maybe more "bulky"? It's really not that bad, just the first thing that comes to mind, so there may be better. But if your server is Linux and supports PHP.....You can use php to execute linux code that grabs the page and saves it temporarily on the server, then you download the page from your own server...then after each session you can delete the pages. If you know php, you'll know how to do this. If not, let me know if you'd be interested in this solution and I'll try to get you some code. Remember, if you do it this way, each page you load will count against your month transfer amount with your hosting plan. It would work best if you had your own server (or a big enough plan). Let me know if you're interested.

Rick

You effectively want a proxy server.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

I don't even understand what a proxy server is. Maybe I am out of my league. I am just playing around at home. If you want to provide a definition, that would be great.

Thanks.

Google can help...
[ul][li]Google - proxy server[/url][/li]
[li]Google - [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.google.com/search?q=definition%3Aproxy+server&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8]definition: proxy server[/url][/li][/ul]

You want to run a proxy server on your home PC, and configure your work web browser to send all requests through your home proxy.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Doh! Those links again:
[ul]
[li]Google - Proxy server[/li]
[li]Google - definition: proxy server[/li]
[/ul]

RISTMO,

How about images, css, js, and other components accessed by a page? Does your script parses them too and download it such that a resulting html can be directly viewed from your server? If so, I'm very interested in your script! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back