Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

textbox that displays info from another table

Status
Not open for further replies.

mns117

Programmer
Apr 8, 2002
US
Hi,
I am having issues trying to decide the best way to build a form. I want to build a form that will allow the user to view and update a group of data from a grid-like form. So for example here is what the form will look like:

Group: _____ Person: ____v Status______v

The info that I want to update is in 1 table: lets call it tblSchedules. The Group column is a foreign key and is numeric. The value comes from a group table that has the ID, and Group Name. The Person and Status fields will be combo controls that lookup a value from another table, and store the FK ID.

I played around with using a continuous form, but the combobox control doesn't work.

My question is:

1. How do I bring in the text value of the group (not the ID)
2. How do I use the combobox control.

What Im trying to do is allow people to look at all the data and update it quickly without having to click to go to a new record.

Hi
To have the group combo display Group Name, you must set:
RowSouce (eg) : SELECT ID, [Group Name] FROM tblGroups
Bound Column : 1
Column Count : 2
Column Widths : 0cm; 2.5cm
That is, set the width of the ID column to 0.

As for the other two combos; you can get data from other tables (Row Source) but the boxes must be bound (Control Source) to a field in tblSchedules, if you wish to use them in a continuous form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back