Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Textbox 'sticky lists' under Netscape ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimHH

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
US
I searched this site and also Microsoft but cannot find anything relevant.

I had to create a new name: 'sticky list', by which I mean that when a user types into the textbox area of a form he sees a cookie-based dropdown list of previous inputs from which a selection may be made -- like the Address box in a browser. This offers 2 advantages to a complex form: it simplifies re-typing frequently-used values; it also pre-validates the inputs and reduces typing errors.

(There may be a better name than 'sticky list' -- I just don't know what it is).

Our corporate website is located on a commercially-served site that runs IIS 5.0 under W2K, and the web pages are written using FP2K. Most are MS IE users, 10% or so use NS.

Using MS IE, the text boxes come up with 'sticky lists', using NS 4+ or NS 6+ they do not -- despite all attempts to activate cookies by setting the option: "Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Cookies | Enable all cookies", say.

Even using MS IE there are inconsistencies in behavior -- a new value is not always retained for subsequent use.

Does anyone have a handle on what is causing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back