Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Textbox input to a web page

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcranford

MIS
May 18, 2000
US
Is it possible to have a web page with a textbox that a user could type into and have a particular web page appear? Using cities as an example, I'd want the user to be able to type Chicago and when the Submit button is clicked, it would open chicago.htm. Likewise, Cleveland or Cincinnati would open cleveland.htm or cincinnati.htm.

Deon

You can't do it directly but you can using an intermediate asp page. For some reason, the submit button is a bit strange. Even when it is directed to a particular html page, it doesn't work but if you type the address of that page on the URL line, it works. If you do it as an asp/php/cgi type page, it works.

You could launch it as a separate window with one click of the button but I don't know whether that is what you want.

Take that back. You can do it directly as long as the page has an asp suffix. Doesn't need asp content: just an asp suffix.

You'll need to have an onclick method on the submit button to modify the target before calling submit on the form.

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back