Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Textbook for Introduction to Telephony 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

taavins

Technical User
May 6, 2020
US
Good morning Everyone!

I am a network administrator who is being pushed more and more towards telephony due to company shifts. That being said I am booked for training in Avaya Aura CM 8 administration but I would like to acquire a book that teaches all the fundamentals of telephony with some background. Any recommendations are welcome!

I honestly found that "Telecom for Dummies" was a decent starting point at understanding the basics of the PSTN and into some PBX stuff. For further groundwork, there are a number of books in similar veins to that ("SIP: Understanding the Session Initiation Protocol" and "Packet Guide to Voice over IP"), but it is entirely dependent on what your flavor of telephony is. If you are working on Avaya Aura CM 8, your best bet would be to comb through YouTube videos (PBXHowTos did a great series on general administration) and the CM manuals to understand more of what you are looking for.

Newton's Telecom Dictionary would be a great start. I am not sure if it has been recently revised but, as far as fundamentals, it would still be relevant. Can be found on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back