Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

textarea size limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

grnzbra

Programmer
Mar 12, 2002
US
I have a form with two textareas.

The following creates one of them:

<textarea name='txtLastComments' style='font: Arial; color: #00008B; background-color: #E3F2F7; border: 1px inset #00008B;' readonly background-color='f0f8ff' cols='35' rows='2' maxlength='4000'><%= rsZipcodes("ZIPComments") %></textarea>

The second is the same but not read only and without the formatting. It also is set for 3 rows.

Entries in the second are concatinated with entries in the first and then displayed in the first (actually, the contents typed into the second are concatinated with the contents of the recordset field from which the first textarea is updated). All is fine as long as the total number is no more than one more than the number of rows in the textarea attribute. I've tried using the growable attribute, but that doesn't do anything; it still gives me an error saying that I am trying to enter the wrong type of data. (The field underlying the text areas is varchar(4000). Is there any way to make the textarea take more rows? Is there something else I can use instead (that has scroll bars)?

>Is there any way to make the textarea take more rows?
Why do you ask? Is there not already a rows attribute up there?

If I increase the number of rows in the specification, the size of the text area gets bigger. I need to limit the size of the box and then scroll to the rows that appear lower down.

There is an "overflow" css which is default to auto. Is the rendering not showing verticle scroll bar? If not add overflow:auto into the inline style. But still not see what is the question!

Thanks tsuji. I found the problem. While the field definition in the table was varchar(5000), there was burried in the code a definition of varchar(50). Once I changed that, it runs fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back