Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Truncating when Exporting from Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue9244

Programmer
Jan 20, 2003
US
I create a title block for our drawings in excel and then export the sheet from a large spread sheet before inserting the block into AutoCad. All this is done with VBA code. Everything works great except that in some of the cells there is a good size quantity of text (notes and disclaimers) and during the exporting process the text gets truncated. Is there any way around this other than splitting the text up into different cells. If I do that, the result is less than great.

Thanks very much!

Hi,

When Excel converts data from a spreadsheet to come other form, stuff happens.

I know that wheh saving a .prn print file, what you describe can happen.

Try changing the text to a FIXED FONT like Courier (as opposed to proportional spaced fonts which are just about all the others)

Then select font size of 8. That has always seemed to work the best for me. Autofit all you columns of data. Then export.

You may have to play around with the last step.

Hope it works for you :)

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

Thanks for the help Skip! But where it is actually truncating the text is when I export it from one spreadsheet to another - not during the Excel to ACAD conversion. Does this change your response at all? Or do I need to change the font as you suggested. I use Arial which I like the best.

Sue...

There is a 255 byte limitation per cell when you do a Worksheet Copy.

However, if you copy the CONTENTS of the sheet and paste it into another sheet, you will probably get the results that you are seeking.
Code:
Sheet1.Cells.Copy Destination:=Sheet2.Cells(1, 1)
Hope this helps :)

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back