Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

text to outlines? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperlord

Technical User
Jun 18, 2002
US
Is it a good idea to convert a page of 8 point text to outlines to avoid font issues at press?

I am inclined to think its NOT a good idea b/c when creating outlines - It seems that the fonts tend to bloat a bit and get messy. Especailly when they are so small.

Any advice?

Thanks - nate Knowledge enormous makes a God of me.

use a system font like arial or times for type that small. That way you stand a better chance of the printer having the font. If you simply cant part with the font you've chosen send the font along with the file. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

From what I read the bloat maybe due to a stroke inadvertantly (sp) being applied. With the size of the type a san-serif type should be used -- but being it a vector size should not matter. Hah! Let freedom ring!

I don't think it is a good idea. Depending on the resolution and postscript interpreter of the imagesetter or printer, outline type might look bolder than actual font type. Postscript is not flawless.

The 'bloat' may be a simple display effect. Try zooming in onscreen.

You may also experience the bloat when it goes to press if the dpi/ppi is too low and the RIP chokes on all the tiny vector data.

When possible, embed the fonts in the illustrator EPS file. Packing the font file separately may also be a good idea but some printers may forget or ignore it.

Embedding the font is safest route. Outlining fonts really blows up your file size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back