Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text to Number Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithsc

MIS
Apr 20, 2007
GB
I am trying to create a 'command' table in crystal where 1 of the fields is selecting part of another field:
SUBSTRING(GPSTNAR,13,3)) AS SCHEDULE.

This creates a text field which I need to convert to a number. I've tried putting various things before the SUBSTRING such as TO_NUMBER, TO NUMBER and NUMBER but none of these seem to work.

Can someone please help.

Many Thanks

Are you trying to create SQL expression? Is a simple formula not acceptable? tonumber() as a crystal formula will work.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
I am trying to create a SQL expression to create a custom table which I can link to exsisting tables.

Select
GACCNUM as Account_Number,
GINPDAT as Input_Date,
TRANSACTION_CODE as Transaction_Code,
Trim(Left(GPSTNAR,11)) as Agreement,
*** SubString(GPSTNAR,13,3) as Schedule,
*** Right(GPSTNAR,2) as Termination,
GPSTAMT as Posting_Amount,
GANCDE1 as Analysis_Code_1,
GANCDE2 as Analysis_Code_2,
GJRNNUM as Journal_Number,
GJRNSEQ as Journal_Seq_No
From
GPSTING

The 2 lines that I've marked with *** are character fields and I need to convert them to numeric.

How would this be linked to existing tables? By Account_Number? I would just add GPSTING to the report and write formulas to convert to a number. No SQL expressions required.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

--Dave Barry

What version of CR are you using and what is your datasource?

-LB

I need to link by Agreement, Schedule and Termination so I have to convert the tables.

I am running CR XI and my data source is an AS400 database

Have you tried writing a formula and failed? I am still unsure why you seem to have tunnel vision on using a SQL expression to accomplish this.

--Dave Barry

How would I link GPSTING to the other tables The only fields that I can use to link on the other tables are Agreement, Schedule and Termination. The fields GPSTNAR in GPSTING contains this information and needs to be seperated before I can link them.

Thanks for your continued help and I'm sorry if I'm not explaining things clearly.

I've found the answer: The function to use is VALUE not forgetting (as I did) to put the number of decimal points at then end.

Many thanks for all your help.

Smithsc,

Can you please show the command that you ended up using so that others can benefit?

-LB

Of course:

Select
GACCNUM as Account_Number,
GINPDAT as Input_Date,
TRANSACTION_CODE as Transaction_Code,
Trim(Left(GPSTNAR,11)) as Agreement,
Value(SubString(GPSTNAR,13,3),0) as Schedule,
Value(Right(GPSTNAR,2),0) as Termination,
GPSTAMT as Posting_Amount,
GANCDE1 as Analysis_Code_1,
GANCDE2 as Analysis_Code_2,
GJRNNUM as Journal_Number,
GJRNSEQ as Journal_Seq_No
From
GPSTING

This will only work for tables from an AS400 datasource as other databases use different types of SQL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back