Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

text to decimals

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinwilson

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
aloha all,
need some serious help here ...been stuck on this problem for two days now! here's my problem, i have a populated text field within my access mdb that i need to convert to a number field. the text field displays: 24:30, 6:45 (w/out leading 0's), etc., representing the total hours worked. i need to convert this field to a number field to include decimals ie 24.xx, 6.xx (xx=minutes) respectively, in order to sum the total hours+minutes worked. in the following example the "time1" displays total hours worked (h:m) and is formatted as text, i would like time2 formatted as a number (decimal,2). all attempts for force the text field into the number field returns either all 0's (0.00's), date/time's, or "type mismatch" errors. any help would be greatly appreciated.

no. time1(text) time2(num)
1 96:59 96.59
2 2:30 2.30

mucho mahalo's

Hmmm ... I don't thing that you will get the results you want from that. Shouldn't the conversion be
Code:
Text     Number
Code:
96:59     96.983
 2:30      2.50
If you add "96:59" + "2:30" you should get "99:29" but adding 96.59 + 2.30 gives 98.89.

Generating the "Hours" and "Minutes" fields is fairly easy.
Code:
Select Left([TextTime], Instr([TextTime],":")-1) As [Hours],
       Mid ([TextTime], Instr([TextTime],":")+1) As [Minutes]
Or Creating a single field
Code:
Select (Val(Left([TextTime], Instr([TextTime],":")-1)) +
        Val(Mid ([TextTime], Instr([TextTime],":")+1))/60) As [HrsMin]

Golom, thanks for the quick reply. I understand the summing portion of your statement, this will help me alot once I can get the text field converted to number. In your second option:

Select (Val(Left([TextTime], Instr([TextTime],":")-1)) +
Val(Mid ([TextTime], Instr([TextTime],":")+1))/60) As [HrsMin]

Can the [HrsMin] be converter into a number field? I'm using a charting application where total hours worked must be must be a number field, date/time won't work.

thanks,
kevin

That construct DOES produce a number field (note the VAL functions.) Just to break it down
Code:
   Val(Left([TextTime], Instr([TextTime],":")-1))
Extracts the hours portion of the text field and converts it to a numeric value. Similarly
Code:
   Val(Mid ([TextTime], Instr([TextTime],":")+1))/60
Extracts the minutes, converts it to a number and divides by 60 to get fractions of an hour.

Finally
Code:
   Hours + Minutes
Adds the hours to the fraction of an hour derived from the minutes and the whole mess is contained in the field [HrsMin] as a numeric value of the form 2.50 (for example)

[ponder]D'oh, thanks for the clarification! Will give that a try.

mahalo,
kevin

Code:
Public Function basTxtTime2Value(HrMin As String) As Double

'Michael Red    Tex-Tips thread701-727708 TextTime to Decimal Time

'Selected examples of usage
    '? basTxtTime2Value("24:30")
    ' 24.5

'? basTxtTime2Value("96:59")
    ' 96.9833333333333

'? basTxtTime2Value("6:45")
    ' 6.75

Dim DecTime As Variant

DecTime = Split(HrMin, ":")

basTxtTime2Value = DecTime(0)
    If (UBound(DecTime) > 0) Then
        basTxtTime2Value = basTxtTime2Value + DecTime(1) / 60
    End If

End Function

On the other hand, a (hopefully) minor change to your app could allieviate the necessity for any of the above, although you can not 'store' hours > 23 in a date-time data type.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back