Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text to Date Conversion Using SQL Select Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 1999
US
I have a date in text format that needs to be treated as if it were a data (i.e., #mm/dd/yy#). Maybe there's a better way to do it, but I have a number of dates in various months that need to be converted to the first day of the respective months so that I can consider all dates within a month to be equal.

Essentially, I want a function to convert the mm/dd/yy date to mm/01/yy and, because the output of the select query is going into a union query, I want to be sure that the result of the select query's date field (now in text format) to be converted "on assignment" to a date or datetime field. Have I overlooked a helpful Access function or SQL datatype assignment parameter?

Thanks!

John Harkins

Try this:

Myfield: DateValue(Format(DateValue("01/15/2004"),"mm/""01""/yyyy"))

This will convert the String into a date, force the date into a string with 01 for the day, then take that string and make into a date.

Replace the "01/15/2004" with your Field name in your query, and you will be on your way.

ChaZ

Ascii dumb question, get a dumb Ansi

Glad to be helpful.

And Simple.

And Elegent.

LOL

ChaZ

Ascii dumb question, get a dumb Ansi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor