Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text that is arched on the bottom, but is lined up on the top 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

artecs

Vendor
Jun 19, 2006
US
I'm trying to format a line of text so that the bottom of all the text arches, but the top of the text is all justified at the same horizontal level. Can this be done in Illustrator?

.... ....
.. ..

This can be done easily with Object>Envelope Distort>Make with Warp, then choose Arc Lower, click the Preview check box to on, and set the Bend to a negative number.

Good luck!

Art:

Moria's suggestion will do somewhat what you are looking for, but there will be much distortion (i.e. the type towards the left and right ends of the text will lean like a bunch of palm trees in florida in june).

The way I prefer to do this (I'll put together a small toot tomorrow), is to:

1. Type your text;

2. Draw a rectangle, roughly the width and tallest height of your desired text warp. Leave selected;

2. Object>Gradient Mesh>Make, set for 1 row, 2 columns;

3. Select text and gradient mesh, then hit Ctrl-Alt-C (Object>Envelope>Make with Top Object), and now your text is inside an envelope;

4. With the direct selection tool (white arrow, no +), grab the center bottom anchor. Drag it STRAIGHT up (Hold Shift while dragging. If it's not dead straight, you will get undesireable distortions. Drag it up to the tallest point on the desired arc, where the text has to be narrowest;

5. The bottom half now looks like a mirrored grand piano set. Select one of the corner anchors, and look at where its horizontal handle lies. Drag it straight up, so the arc follows until you have a nice arc on that side. If you wish (for symmetry purposes) you can drag a guide to the handle, so you can line up the other corner handle exactly like it. Or, just eyeball it.

HTH

Bert

That's an interesting technique, Bert. Never occured to me to use a grad mesh to distort text. Allows for a lot more control than a normal 'Make with Top Object'.

Thanks for that.

Sam:

When you "Make with Top Object", the top object becomes a mesh... I think people tend to think of gradient meshes only as a way to make colored areas, but they are very useful as distortion envelopes.

You can take your top object, and add mesh points/grid by using the regular grad mesh tool.

Bert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back