Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text shifting when exporting form

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairwormman

Programmer
Dec 9, 2003
US
Hey y'all:
I am having problems exporting forms from Access. The form consists of a form header and multiple entries in the details section, drawn from a query. All other sections are blank. When I view the report, it looks exactly as I want it. Then, when I export it, it looks terrible. Exporting it as a *.txt file adds stings of hard returns all over the place. When I export it as a *.rtf, the program adds a hard return and a space at each page break, AND moves the next line of text (after the page break) half way down the page. Sometimes it will do this to the first two lines.
To further confuse the issue, when I print the form as a *.pdf it also looks exactly as I want it (as it does in Access). However, when I copy the text from the pdf and paste it into a text editor it also jumbles the order of the entries.
So, any ideas how I could get Access to Export EXACTLY what it shows in the report.
Thanks!!!!!

are you printing a FORM or a REPORT?
TWO DIFFERENT SCENARIOS.

If a report, then do you need to edit after exporting?
if not, export as .snp (snapshot file)

Thanks for responding.
Let me clarify. Indeed I am trying to export a report. The reason I need this to be in txt format is because I need to send this file off to an automated web server which will parse out the information and process the individual entries (they are actually all genes from an organism). If there are any errors in the txt file (so the text from the report) then the program flips and sends the mess back to me for correction. Correcting this sounds ok, but sometimes I have thousands of pages; and the changes made from the report in Access to the txt file are not consistent. Therefore, although snapshot sounds great for viewing reports, it will not allow text parsing. The only other suggestion I have gotten is to print the snapshot and scan all pages into a text recognition program. But all of this seems to defeat what Access promises??
Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back