Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Quality Loss (Fuzzy Text) when print PDF Created by InDesign CS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

abx5

Programmer
Aug 23, 2006
TH
I've tried to print directly from InDesign CS4 (Windows) and from PDF file that created by InDesign. The quality on the same printer shows different. The one I printed directly from InDesign look ok but I got a fuzzy text on the PDF file.

My Printer is Digital Duplicator Ricoh Priport - 400 dpi. So, it's one color. My Configuration Start from "Press Quality" and settings are as following:
- All Text is set to BLACK. (Not Registration)
- Edit -> Color Settings - "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

Print Booklet
Booklet Type: 2-up Saddle Stitch
Auto Adjust Margins: On
Top Margin: 0 mm
Bottom Margin: 0 mm
Left Margin: 0 mm
Right Margin: 0 mm
Space Between Pages: N/A
Creep: 0 mm
Bleed Between Pages: N/A
Signature Size: N/A
Print Blank Printer Spreads: Off

General
Copies: 1
Collate: Off
Reverse Order: Off
Pages: All
Sequence: All Pages
Spreads: Off
Print Master Pages: Off
Print Layers: Visible & Printable Layers
Print Non-printing Objects: Off
Print Blank Pages: Off
Print Visible Guides and Baseline Grids: Off

Setup
Paper Size: Custom
Paper Width: Auto
Paper Height: Auto
Page Orientation: Landscape
Paper Offset: 0 mm
Paper Gap: 0 mm
Transverse: Off
Scaling: 100%
Constrain Proportions: On
Page Position: Upper Left
Thumbnails: Off
Tiling: Off

Output
Color: Composite Gray
Text As Black: On
Trapping: Off
Flip: None
Negative: Off
Screening: Default
Simulate Overprint: Off
Frequency: 60
Angle: 45

Graphics
Send Data: Optimized Subsampling
Download: Complete
Download PPD Fonts: On
PostScript: Level 3
Data Format: ASCII

Color Management
Document Profile: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2
Color Handling: Let InDesign Determine Colors
Printer Profile: Document CMYK - U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2
Preserve CMYK Numbers: On
Proof Profile: Document CMYK
Simulate Paper Color: On

Advanced
Print as Bitmap: Off
Bitmap Resolution: 300
OPI Image Replacement: Off
EPS: Off
PDF: Off
Bitmap Images: Off
Transparency Flattener Preset: [High Resolution]
Ignore Spread Overrides: Off

Is there anyway to convert to PDF and all text still printed clearly? (I need to use Print Booklet Feature.)

Thank you,

...fuzzy text from pdf may indicate the print settings in acrobat advanced options are set to "print as image"...

...have you looked there to see if this is on?

andrew

MarcusStringer, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. When I tested to make sure it's a problem of Converted PDF, I just create a new page in InDesign. Fill the page with Characters. Then, print it directly from both InDesign and Converted PDF. So, there is no image at all. Also, I don't know how to print to Postscript file. (I believe my

apepp, About "Print as Image" in Acrobat that you said, I didn't check it when try to print. (I used both FoxIt Reader and Acrobat and no check for both of them.)

I just noticed that the character printed from PDF and InDesign are a bit different. The one from PDF is a bit fuzzy and a little smaller than InDesign. Is there anything relate to this problem?

Thank you,

Do you have another printer to send it too... just to rule out it's not the Ricoh.
Preferably a 600dpi PS Level three.

Please check you Press quality settings make sure they are set to the highest they can be:

i.e. Optimised for fast web display is turned OFF

Marcus

MarcusStringer,

I don't have any PostScript Printer. However, I tested it with Laser Printer. (600 dpi) A print test shows that printing from InDesign is clearer, bolder and bigger than printing from converted PDF. (Press Quality, Composite Gray, Text as Black) However, no fuzzy text here. (So, I guess, fuzzy text only shows when printing with 400 dpi.)

I also wondering what's the different between "Composite Gray" vs "Composite CMYK"?

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back