Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text-mode device drivers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn9999

Programmer
Jun 19, 2004
US
I'm in need of a good example (hopefully explained) of a text-mode device driver. For what I found in the Delphi help, it provides a generic introduction to the topic, but nothing as to what the functions should look like when you redefine them.

Any good pointers on this?

Glenn, I have some code that was published in Delphi Magazine (I have the CD) years ago. (Not the UK mag, but the US one that died long before that unfortunately just died. (See link for final offerings.)

Anyway, I was going to offer to email them to you, but for fear of being flamed for doing that, I'll put them on my server and post a link when done, hopefully over the weekend. (Of course crediting the author.) I'll include some code I generated from the examples. As I recall, these included methods to read text from the console screen as well as write to it in various colors.

If this is what you're looking for, I'll proceed. Let me know...

In the mean time, have you looked here:

Roo
Delphi Rules!

efg2.com said:
Note: Do not use this unless you are familiar with writing Object Pascal text file device drivers.

That page is similar to what I keep finding on almost every reference I see online to the phrase. Which is really the issue: I want to get familiar with writing Object Pascal text-file device drivers. I'm not finding anything to help in that matter. I think I might have something, though. I'll see very soon when I sit down to try it.

That's odd you mention colors, though. The reason I want to do it is that I'm trying to piece together a workable CRT unit for Delphi from some examples I've found. Unfortunately, they are quite buggy in several ways. One of the problems I'm running into is that the color will go completely to the edge of the screen for upon a writeln. I'm thinking if I can pre-empt what writeln does and insert a "TextBackground(black)" before the carriage return, it should fix it.

There's always the possibility to learn something even if that doesn't solve the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back