Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Messaging Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadyness

MIS
Dec 21, 2001
US
Does anyone have any experience or know of a good place to research creating an automated text-messaging application?

Perhaps this is a better question for a .NET forum, but I have been teasked with figuring out to how to send an alert message from a recordset of text-enabled cell phone numbers. I have seen that Microsoft offers a .NET Alerting option, but you have to pay per customer stored in your database. Obviously, we would like to avoid this overhead by possibly developing everything in-house.

<== Some people say they are afraid of heights. With me its table widths. ==>

Many text-messaging phones have email addresses you can use to send messages, usually something like
Code:
515-555-4567@att.net

If this is the case with your phones then a simple VB application (for example) residing on an internet-connected server can send appropriate emails on whatever schedule you need. It could either be an application that's run manually or something that runs all of the time, checking for whatever trigger is appropriate to send the emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back