Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TEXT LOOKUP PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapupp

Technical User
Aug 30, 2001
US
I have to data tables. One data table has a field called part_no with the contents of the field looking like this

Part_NO Cycle_Time
101,101BC,212 55

The other table also has the field part_no with the field populated as follows:

Part_No
101BC

I need to populate the second table with the cycle times from table one. So I need to lookup the Part_no in the second table with a match from the first table. Since the first table has part numbers grouped together, how do I lookup the part numbers from table 2 and find them on table one.

Thank you so much

I would re-design the db. You can probably get most of the resuls you wnat with some contortions of "Like" with some variations. A 'better?' way would be to re-do the first db - bbut that would require a module/procedure approach -and you would end up with the first table 'looking' like what you are describing as the second table.

MichaelRed
mred@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Thank you for your quick response. But could you please give me some specifics on how to use the "like" command or a module/procedure process which could help.

Thanks

Mike

In the criteria "row" of te query by grid, you enter expressions:

Like "10?"
or
Like "101*"
or
Like "212"

The help system has a pretty good description of the usage.

MichaelRed
mred@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Here is an example that you may be able to use to get started.

UPDATE PartNo2, PartNo1
SET PartNo2.Cycle_time = [PartNo1].[Cycle_Time]
WHERE PartNo1.Part_No Like "*" & [PartNo2].[Part_No] & "*";
Terry L. Broadbent
faq183-874 contains some tips and ideas for posting questions in these forums. Please review it and comment if you have time.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is part of my signature and is not directed at any individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back