Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

text lines clipping in dialog boxes on 24" CRT display 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
US
Lately there have been several high end programs, such as Phothshop CS2 which have displayed a strange situation in a dialog box.

There will be a checkbox, with text to the right. But the text is partially hidden. With two lines, the upper half of the top line, and the lower half of the bottom line are clipped off. The clipping edge lines up with the check box top and bottom.

I'm running a SONY GDM-FW900 24" CRT monitor. I have occasionally seen some text in dialog boxes clipped at the end, but this new situation has occurred in several programs. I have not changed the video display - I'm running at 1600 x 1024, which is the correct aspect ratio for this screen. I switched back to 16 bit color from 32, but that made no difference.

I don't believe this could be a video driver error. The present problem was never seen until very recently in XP. My font size is set to noraml in the screen settings.

The video card is a 128 MB nvidia card from 3 years ago. I've checked around in the display settings, but don't see anything amiss.

Anyone have any ideas

Ron Hirsch

My guess: blame Windows Update.

Go to the NVIDIA web site and download and apply their newest video driver.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did go there, and download their latest driver, and also the demo exe file, which I will review.

While I am an advanced user, I've never had the occasion to change/upgrade my video driver. I was therefore very surprised to see that nVidia has only a single driver that covers all their cards. This does make a lot of sense. But these days things that "make sense" are very rare indeed.

I also read their tips on installing the driver, and uninstalling the existing driver first.

When one does the uninstall, I'd assume that the display will then fall back on XP's defaults, which will probably be a nonconforming display, as I doubt that the XP driver has 1600x1024. But of course this will not be a problem in doing the install.

Do you have any tips or caviats when installing the new driver?

Thanks again -

Ron Hirsch

Thanks for your inputs to date.

I did the new driver install, exactly according to the instructions from nVidia, and also added in the cleaner process via the link you gave me.

Everything went smoothly, with no apparent glitches. My new screen driver now has a lot more features, and resolution capabiities.

I reset the colors and font sizes to my preferences, as they were before. And I anxiously went into Photoshop CS2 to the new Adobe Bridge browser, where the clipping had shown up.

Unfortunately, the clipped text is exactly the same as it was before. Nothing has changed there. This occurs in only a limited number of programs. I went through all the various windows in the nVidia install, but didn't spot anything that looked like it could be the culprit.

Any further ideas or suggestions??

Ron Hirsch

You mention that you "reset the colors and font sizes..."

Do you get the clipped text with the default settings?

Tim

Tim Roop
"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

Have you tried your luck with Adobe Support, they may have some knowledge of the problem?

If you like you could also run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy. This will check for any file corruption or incorrect versions in your System files. Perhaps the Comctl32.dll is the wrong version?

This is more a programming link but you might like to look at it. Search it for "clipped".

Customizing a Control's Appearance Using Custom Draw

Thanks for the various suggestions. I did not really change font sizes - they are set at "normal". I did of course change a few colors, but that should not impact anything.

I'm runnng at 1600x1024, with 16 bit color.

I held off contacting Adobe. But, it's probably time that I advise them of the situation. First though, I have a friend who uses the same 24" SONY monitor, and also has CS2 installed. I'm going to check with him to see if he has a similar problem. He does have a different video card, and driver. But both our systems are using the latest drivers.

The prior version of Photoshop (CS) did not exhibit this problem.

Even if all else fails, I do now have the latest driver from nvidia :).

Ron Hirsch

I've had a few issues where the latest and greatest drivers aren't all that great. For kicks and giggles you may want to try an older version of the Nvidia driver.

Tim Roop
"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

Tim,

Since the problem was there with my "older" driver version, and also with the latest version, I doubt that trying to find an interim version which doesn't have the problem would be very productuve.

I posted on the Photoshop forum to see if any others have had this problem

Ron

I was thinking of a version older than what was included with your original software set.

/Grasping at straws

Tim

Tim Roop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back