Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text is being cut off in export to PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscowiz

MIS
Apr 21, 2004
US
Hello All,
I am using CR/CE 9 with the activex viewer. When I export to PDF through the viewer, some text in the textboxes is cut off. If you click on the field in the activex viewer, the original textbox becomes highlighted in red and you can clearly see a couple letters spilling over which is exactly where it is being cut off when it is exported. Any help is appreciated.
Bryan

I'd address this red outline problem as it sounds like you don't have enough space for the text, and you didn't format the field to Can Grow in the Format Field. So either enlarge it, shrink the font, or select Can Grow so that it prints on the subsequent line.

I'd also apply the service pack:

-k

Can Grow" is on and I set it to a max of 100 lines. The issue isnt that I can't get additional lines, its that the end of the lines will have letters or words cut off in the PDF. In the viewer it looks fine but if you compare it to what displays in the CR designer it is different. It seems when the report is viewed through Enterprise/ActiveX viewer it takes the liberty of trying to squeeze an extra word or characters to the end of the line before wrapping to the new line. This is what I meant with the red square that shows up when you click on the field in the activex viewer. The red square shows the field's dimensions as set in the DESIGNER and some letters are clearly spilling over the original dimensions. Now the viewer has no trouble showing this and everything is visible but when it is exported to PDF, the orginal dimensions are used, thus cutting off the 'spillage' as seen in the viewer. Hope that clarified a little.
Thanks,
Bryan

It does, clarify, thanks.

Check what the default printer is on the CE server, and try setting it to the same as the report uses, this often causes formatting differences.

-k

Yea they're both the same. I remember having this problem before and I think a hotfix or something like that fixed it along with adding or setting a registry key but I could be wrong.

Did you ever figure this out? I am having a similar problem exporting to PDF from Crystal 10. All my columns of numbers are right justified (so the decimals line up) and the PDF export is cutting off the right half of the last digit of each number.

I can't really remember. If you go to the Crystal support site and search for "export pdf" or something similar to that there is a fix where you have to install a hotfix and make a registry change. It is something like "Fieldclippings" and you set it to a value.
I can't remember if that did it or not but you can also insert the field into a blank textbox, right click the textbox, go to "Paragraph" tab and experiment with the indenting. I ended up doing that for one report and it worked fine.

Thank you! I was wondering about using a text box. I'll try that. I am in a corporate setting where it takes forever to get a "hotfix", and to make a registry change for each user is even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back