Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text formatting-Some simple id questions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

samjoy

Programmer
Apr 28, 2009
GB
Hi there
1. Can I remove the "return" new line command in imported text, at the moment when I import into a text frame I have to delete all the "return key"/newline command or whatever its called so I can flow the lines when the text frame is changed.
2. Is there a way to automaticly expand/track all lines of text to fit the text frame left and right so I have an even block of text, at the momemt Im ajusting tracking line after line.
Many thanks if you can help.
sam

You shouldn't adjust tracking on each line that will give an awful look to your text.

Leave the tracking set to 0pt

Adjust the size of type and the leading instead to fit the text.

If there's too much text you may not have a choice but to copyedit the text so it fits better.

You may want to look at justifying the text and adjusting the hyphenation and justification settings.

I'm not sure exactly what the issue is with the "return key"/newline command?

You can do a find replace for

Find
^p^p

Change to
^p

You will have to run it several times to catch them all.

Or Grep find replace for

Find
\r\r+

Change to
^r

To change them in one go

You may want to do a Grep Find Change for

\n\n+

\n

Or in the Normal Find and Replace

^n^n

^n

You may have to run that several times.

Thanks eugenetyson,
Isnt leading space between lines not left to right spacing? I have seen many contemporary design stuff where a paragraphs lines are exactly equal, the only way I can work out how this was done was to change tracking of each line, I do it all the time on 12pt text and you cant really notice it up to + or - 50, i just thought as its an often done thing that there was a command to automaticly equalise each line and then you would manually un-track the last line if its only a few words or something.

Adding uneven tracking to text is not a good idea. It can be really noticeable. Try leaving the tracking alone.

Leading is the space between lines, and I understand the importance of keeping the text even across spreads.

If you must adjust the tracking for a page, then I suggest you select all the text on the page and apply the same amount of tracking.

Normally I would not go below -10pt when tracking.

Thanks eugene but you dont seem to understand the question, changing tracking on all text means the lines are still un-even but with more width, when you look at magazines, Vougue for example they have forced all lines of text in paragraphs to be equal, if this isnt tracking then what is it?

How is this different from 'justified text'?. This is an automatic function that should not require manual kerning.

Unless I have missed a feature in indesign, justified options are align left, right or centre, however in all cases this does not automaticly equalise the width of each line to be the same to produce a even block of text with lines all the same width.

I've made this sheet for you.

Hope this explains it better.

62892746.jpg

Larger version here

Oh no looks like Im the numpty here, Im so used to using justification in photoshop I didnt realise indesign could justify equal lines of text over and above photoshop, which eugene did explain first off. Sorry and thanks for this info this was just what I wanted, will look into justification some more now, thanks guys sorry to be an ass.
sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back