Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text File Limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

perl1963

Programmer
Feb 26, 2003
US
Is there a limitation to how much you can write to a text file from FoxPro 2.6? I am try to export some data the line count will be approximately 3 million lines written out using low level file IO. I started and it seems to stop at 299,000 lines. Could this be the editor I trying to open the file with(Ultra Edit V9.20a). If any one has an opinion let me know.

Thanks

Perl
Forum-Financial.com

So how large is the resulting file?
"It seems to stop" ... was there an error?

You never said how many characters pers line, so we have no idea how large your was when the writing halting or failed.

What was the last line successfully written?
What was the line that failed to be written?
Was either one over 254 characters long?

Perhaps there was something in that failed line that it choked on?

More details are needed if you want more suggestions and ideas.

dbMark

Thanks for the replies, to answer your questions the file I believe finished the problem lies in not being able to open the resulting file which is 1.7gb, 3325571 line each being 532 bytes long. I am now trying to find a editor that will open the file in mangable chunks. Unix I believe has the ability to do it with grep, cat and more.

Is there a utility that can do this for a window environment.

Perl
Forum-Financial.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back