Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

text file extract on timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookor

MIS
Apr 21, 1999
US
I need to scan a large database at least every 10 minutes to identify records that have been added that match a certain critera. The sql statement is fairly simple and I don't need to pull more than a half dozen fields. I expect to find a few dozen records during a 24 hour period that match my critera. I want minimal impact on the database performance. What method would be best for this project. Scan database every 10 minutes, id records, extract fields and append to a flat ascii delimited file. This routine has to run 7X24. Its also my boss's pet project so it CANT break down. :)<br>
<br>
Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br>
<br>

Hi <br>
what i am using is a job schedular (cron), sql script . which connects and spools the data in a file and disconnect from db.<br>
might be of some simple help to you.<br>
jetty<br>

Unfortunately we are running on NT which doesnt have cron. <br>
<br>
How do you spool your text to file? Text_io, set spool on, or some other method?<br>
<br>
thanks for the reply<br>

I don't know what your skill level is, but you could try writing a Pro*C app that could be run as a scheduled job on your NT server at the required time interval. Pro*C can be a little tricky, but if you are knowledgeable of C and understand the concept of cursors in Oracle, it should be pretty straightforward.

in windows Nt there is something called AT<br>
thats a command that can be used for scheduling the jobs just like cron in unix.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back