Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text file as Datasource 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR24

Programmer
Jan 14, 2005
US
Hi all,

I have a text (.txt) file that contains the data that I need for a report. The db administrators for my client have asked if I could use the text file as the datasource so they don't have to set up a procedure to import the file into the database. I understand it's possible to use a text (.txt) file as a datasource. My question is what type of datasource connection would I use in the Standard Report Creation Wizard to set this up? I tried using ODBC but I see all of the data in one field. Is this a problem with the connection or the text file? Any ideas would be helpful.

I am using CR XI Standard. Thanks for the help!

SR24

Hi
Try ttx data source in you selection select other datasource

fsreport

Thanks for the reply. I tried setting up the ODBC connection. I followed the instructions in the link you provided. Everything works fine until I try to click ok to complete the setup. I am getting an error message that states "Failed to save table attributes of (null) into (null)". Any ideas?

SR24

Hi,

Can a list of values in a .txt or.xls file be used as parameters for a report ?

I need to lookup hundreds of order numbers to check order status. Currently, IT staff has to run a query for the customer service team.

I use CRXI with Oracle & DB2 databases.

Thank You

SenaMuna

You can create a parameter in CR and then import a .txt file to populate the list of values. Is that what you mean?

-LB

Thanks lbass,
That should do it. Do I need Crystal Enterprise ?

Regards,

SenaMuna

Just make your parameter a dynamic parameter on the order # field if you are using XI.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back