Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Field not available in Formula Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonbarr

MIS
Jun 20, 2003
NZ
CR ver 8.0
ODBC database
Great Plains ver 8.0

I'm not sure if this is a Crystal problem, or a Great Plains problem.

I have created a Crystal Report to show the notes added to an order by using SOP30200 (Orders History) linked to SY03900 (Notes Table) with a left outer join on NOTEINDX.
Table SY03900 shows 5 fields
NOTEINDX
DATE1
TIME1
DEX_ROW_ID
TXTFIELD
I have inserted TXTFIELD into the report using Field Explorer and it is displaying the results as expected.

Now I wish to do a search of the TXTFIELD for a particular string of 6 numbers, a batch code. The problem is when I try to create a formula using Formula Editor, the TXTFIELD is not visible. The other 4 fields in the SY03900 table are there, but not the one I want.

Assuming someone can help me find the text, what would be the format of a formula to search for a particular sequence of characters in a string i.e. is there a function available in CR v 8.0 equivalent to "Contains" ?

The function you are looking for is Instr() which searches one string for an occurance of another string. See Help files on how to use it.

Because you are using CR8 - I assume then that the TXTFIELD field is a Memo data type - which means it is a string with > 256 characters. It does not appear in the Formula Editor because you cannot create a formula with a Memo field - all you can do it show the field on the report.

I believe newer versions of Crystal (v10) does permit Memo data types in formulas.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers
paulmarr

Thanks Paul, that's what I needed to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back