Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text displayed very slowly on screen while typing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keshubi

MIS
Feb 26, 2003
KE
Hi,

I recently upgraded a PC at work to Office 2000. All applications are working fine except for Outlook 2000 which is extremely slow. When replying to email on the PC, characters typed do not appear on the screen immediately but rather do so (almost out of their own accord a few seconds later.)

Any clue as to what might be causing this? The operating system on the PC is Windows 95. Also Outlook 97 didn't have any such problem.

Thanks,
Keshubi

i have seen this no matter what OS is being used... the best explanation i can give is the one given to me... when you hit a key on the keyboard the computer turns that into "110010" and somewhere along the line it converts back into a real letter ( i never said this was a technical explanation lol)... anyway - sometimes the PC gets bogged down and this process takes longer than is usual...

usually this is not a big deal... if it keep s happening i would suggest restarting it, maybe checking to see how long its been since youve run a scan disk or defrag etc...

always remember that i am learning more than teaching here and be gentle if i am wrong lol ShannonLea
[noevil]

Hi Shannon,

I have already tried the defrag and scan disk. The problems is EXCLUSIVE to Outlook.

Thank you for the suggestions, though... I think we are all "always learning". :)

Keshubi.

only outlook... hhhmmmm... is outlook hogging up more CPU% than normal/usual? ShannonLea
[noevil]

expand the amount of vpm you are using and readd the account to outlook after you have done this it will sort it out for you

Hi sa1boy,

Thank you for the response. It would be great to finally solve this problem. But...how do I "expand the amount of vpm [I am] using and read the account to outlook"?

Thank you,
Keshubi.

Hi there,
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I actually just upgraded to Win 2000 and find that it's a little better than when it happened on Win 98 (probably coincidence.) One tip ~ make sure that you don't have Outlook set to use Microsoft Word to edit them. This will slow you down, and I guarentee have your troubles will go away if you take off this setting. Go to Tools > Options > Mail Format tab. On this tab you will see a checkbox for "Use Microsoft Word to edit e-mail messages" Make sure it is UNCHECKED. Give that a try!
Take care,
kerrya98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back