Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

text direction left to right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozdon

Technical User
Mar 28, 2002
GB
I have a system running XP Home and it has started to run the text from left to right ??? (like this "xof nworb kciuq eht" If anyone can shed any light on how to get back to normal text direction it would be very helpful as I can only think of formatting and reinstalling everything again.
tks
Roz

Rather odd behaviour, I would definetly scan for virus with up to date definitions. Does this happen with all programs or just one?

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Hi, rozbon,

> it has started to run the text from left to right ???

In which application?

Are you using a Middle Eastern version of anything or activated Middle Eastern language settings?

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

thanks for advice but I have checked for viruses and it happens in all apps.
The language is english.
I will keep looking before formatting becomes inevitable

roz

From an MS article:
[ol]
[li]Click Start, and then click Control Panel.[/li]
[li]In Control Panel, click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.[/li]
[li]Click Add other languages, and then select the Languages tab.[/li]
[li]Under Text services and input languages, click Details. The Text services and input languages dialog box appears.[/li]
[li]Under Installed Services, if the language that you want to type in is not listed, or if the language that you want is listed but the keyboard is not listed under it, click Add.[/li]
[li]In the Input Language list, select the language that you want to type in. This automatically populates the Keyboard layout/IME field.[/li]
[li]Click OK.[/li]
[li]Under Installed Services, you see the selected language with a keyboard installed.[/li]
[li]Click OK to close the Text Services and Input Languages dialog box, and then click OK to close the Regional and Language Options dialog box.[/li][/ol]

The point is to not only check the Windows language, but also the keyboard layout to make sure it matches.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

may also want to check installed components for IE those tend to become integrated in windows... especially if you installed some language pack or some bogus pop up component from a website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back