Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TEXT data does not show in full - possible to reverse truncating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapit

MIS
Jul 5, 2000
CA
I used TEXT datatype for large fields up to 4000 positions that I put into MSSQL7. However, MSSQL7 does not show large columns in full, if a SELECT Query is performed. I did: <br>Select MyColumn from MyTable where Len(convert(varchar(8000), MyColumn)) &gt; 500 .<br>Showing the result, SQL7 truncates the field's content down to 257 positions. I tried File-&gt;SaveAs (saved as a text file), but again, received only 257 positions, not the whole original length. Can I hope that the whole-length data could be retrieved back in any way?

As my fellow DB-Master advised me:<br>Open MS SQL7 Query Analyzer, go to Query-&gt;Current Connection Options-&gt; Advanced Tab. Find the box Maximum Character per Column (default = 256) and put there the necessary number.<br>I published this for everybody's benefit.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back