Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

text case when naming files

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota81

Technical User
May 15, 2001
US
I usually float around from computer to computer where I work, grabbing one that's unused for the day... All run Windows98SE with all current updates, and most of them are fine with filenames naming them exactly how I type them in. However, on a new computer I sat at today, it's saving all the filenames in uppercase, which I do not want because the files I work with will be uploaded to a case sensitive Linux web-server, hence the massive inconvience.

Is there a setting somewhere here in Win98 that I should be looking?

If I was going to guess, I'd say it's not the operating system so much as the program that you're using that's causing the strange case saves. Try creating something in Notepad and saving it, see if you get the same functionality. If this is the case, obviously we need to know what the offending program is before we can tell you what you might do to disable it.

Alternatively, it could be that the FTP client on the computer is the culprit. Look at the file in a regular windows explorer folder - is it all caps then? Is it still all caps after you right-click and rename it? If the answer to those questions is no, then it's the FTP client that's making the name change. Download WS_FTP LE and that will solve your problem.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back