Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Text Box based on Combo Box is slow when opening existing records

Status
Not open for further replies.

appelq

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2004
US
I have a form [Containers] with a combo Box for [cboCustID]
The Row Source is:
SELECT dbo_tblCustomers.CustID, dbo_tblCustomers.CustName FROM dbo_tblCustomers ORDER BY dbo_tblCustomers.CustName;
There are < 100 Customers in the dbo_tblCustomers and when adding a new record in [Containers] the Combo Box performs fine.

A second Text Box field [txtCustName] returns the name of the customer selected in the combo box and has:
=[cboCustID].[column](1)

Side note the Database is split between a Front End and Back End

The noticeable problem is when a user does a search for a Container record.
The record is found fairly quickly, but it take another 10-12 seconds for the Text Boxes (there are 4 combo boxes on this form all setup similar to the above) to fill in.

Is there a better method for displaying the CustName in this case?

Side note the other Combo Boxes are also very small tables : Yards (3 records) ; Products (148 records) ; Vendor )3 records)

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

I have never had a problem with using combo boxes this way. However I would not use a linked SQL table in a query this way either ("dbo_" is a tell tale sign of linked SQL Server tables). You should use an SQL Pass Through query as your row source. Either pass the SQL code or use it to call a stored procedure. You are better off using the SQL Native Client driver which can be a bit of a deployment nightmare if this is multi-user.

When you let the Access database Engine do table scans against an RDBMS, it does some of the dumbest things imaginable which takes a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back