Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbs604

Instructor
Jun 7, 2003
AU
How can I see if a USB is working? I am trying to get a usb scanner to work on a WinXP system. The scanner drivers are all installed, device manager says "this device is working" for the usb port and hub. When trying to scan, an error message "no communication - check cable" (or something like that - cannot remember the exact message) comes up no matter what scanning s/w I use.

This setup used to work and now doesn't - not sure what might have happened in the meantime.

Looks like a usb port or cable failure - any ideas on how to progress from here?

Cheers,

Cheers,
Brodie

A common problem when installing USB imaging devices is that if they are connected before the drivers are installed, then XP tries to install the device with built-in drivers. A full uninstall can be difficult, often needing to track down the installation through Setupapi.log.

Once you have effected an uninstall, reinstallation, via the driver CD, is usually successful.

Have you looked at ?

Andy.

Sorry everyone - I meant to say Win98, not WinXP.

I have installed the scanner with its own cable on another Win98 PC and it works fine.

So it still looks like a possible USB issue on the first PC. I will try a complete uninstall/reinstall next time I get to the PC.

Thanks, satrow, that is a very interesting site.

Cheers,
Brodie

happydownloader,

That program works great, (on a working pc) but does it prove the usb ports are functioning, or just that the pc supports usb? Is there such a thing as a loop-back plug for usb testing?

I cannot get to the pc in question for another couple of days to try out that s/w.

Cheers,
Brodie

All fixed now. I downloaded the scanner driver and re-installed it, and now everything is fine.

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back