Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

testing unknown internal modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFOJ

MIS
Mar 6, 2002
US
I have several older internal modems that I'd like to find out if they're any good and what speed they'll connect at, but no documentation and the information on the circuit cards isn't much too work with. Does anyone have any advice on how best to determine the manufacturer, model, other pertinent information so I can figure out what driver will work with them?

BFOJ,
You could try a search using the FCC# but it is probably a waste of time as you can buy a new modem for $10.

There are quite a few places on the net where you can get manuals and drivers for these, i have done this quite a few times.
You can take the numbers off the chipset and google them, that usually gets you the answers you want.
Personally, I find that is more usefull than using the FCC number, but to each his own, long as you end up with what you want.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

garebo,
I too use the chip info from the cards for id. Using the FCC can be a pain. I only suggested it because BFOJ can't seem to make "heads or tails" of the info.

mainegeek, sorry, i didnt read what BFOJ said quite the same way as you need. Now i understand your post a lot better.
I took what BFOJ said and i figured he wasnt understanding that he could look on the chipset and get chip info that way. So maybe i had better explain myself a bit better as well.

BFOJ, if you look on the part, somewhere, usually on the chipset, you will find names and numbers. Sorry, i dont mean to sound simplistic, but i pretty much always have success by taking this info and plugging it into google and finding drivers, manuals, and other info. Usually you find something like : ctm3605 and under it something like;
4604 embec. So i take all these numbers and letters and google them. If i dont find anything then i shorten them and look for, say, in my example, 4604 instead of 4604 embec. Or even ctm instead of ctm3605. And also you can find info written on the card or part itself, not on the chip. You can plug any of the info into google and see if it gets you anywhere. Sometimes you have to do a lot of work and its discouraging. You go thru 3 pages of junk and all of a sudden, on page 4, there it is, just what you wanted. But its easy to get discouraged too! thing is that i can remember being pretty successful with modems as there are not even all that many mfgrs, a lot of them use the same drivers.

Failing which, you could try the FCC number, as mainegeek has already mentioned.

mainegeek & garebo,

Actually it was I who should have been more clear on what I was asking. I'm not a novice, I am very familiar with modems and chipsets and the like, know how to google and the lot. Probably should have done the google on the chipsets BEFORE I posted this, should have checked to see if that resulted in locating a driver, was hoping someone might have another thought on the subject. I do appreciate your responses and will do the search.

I know modems are cheap, but I am trying to setup some older (not too old) computers to train others in troubleshooting PC's and wanted to use the current items I have at hand or may get hold to build these computers.

Thats part of the problem we have on this end, not always quite sure what experience the other person has, and how to couch ones answers.
So now we know that you know your stuff, lol. If google should fail you, I have some older modem files. If you want, you can email me the info on the chipsets and i can see if i can find the drivers. It could even take me a day or two. I got a bunch of them one day from somewhere, its just a matter of finding them.

kron123 (at) cogeco (dot)) ca

Aside from that, good luck with your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back