Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing the status of an ORACLE call in a UNIX script

Status
Not open for further replies.

weberm

Programmer
Dec 23, 2002
US
I have some inherited UNIX shell scripts that invoke sqlplus via a script called "qs" and then attempt to test their success or failure and behave accordingly but I'm having trouble finding researching "$?" online. Here is such an example:
Code:
echo '--------------------------------------------------------------' 
echo ' STEP01 -- PRODUCE THE UNRECONCILED ECOMMERCE REPORT          '
echo '--------------------------------------------------------------'
echo 
$HOME/bin/qs "exec RCPI.ecommerce_reconciliation_rpt"

#Check if last command is successful.
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
echo "An error occurred while running the Unreconciled report. Exiting..."
exit 11
fi
Is the script testing a return code of some sort? If so, won't the only time it returns a bad value be if the invoked stored proc returns a non-zero value? [ponder]

$? is the shell variable that stores the last return code

A few others are:
Code:
echo "Command name:          " $0
echo "Process id:            " $$
echo "Background Process id: " $!
echo "Number of args:        " $#
echo "Return code:           " $?
echo "Args:                  " $*

man sh

Code what you mean,
and mean what you code!
But by all means post your code!

Razalas

Hi

Razalas, based on the OP's code, he already knows how to use the [tt]$?[/tt] variable.

weberm, note that [tt]qs[/tt] is a client application, it not executes the received code. So it is not so sure it has to report the errors found by the server. ( I never used [tt]qs[/tt], this is based on other similar tools' behaviors. )

Personally I would try to detect the errors based on some specific words in the output :
Code:
[navy]$HOME[/navy]/bin/qs [green][i]"exec RCPI.ecommerce_reconciliation_rpt"[/i][/green] [highlight][purple]2[/purple][teal]>&[/teal][purple]1[/purple] [teal]|[/teal] grep -qi [green][i]'error'[/i][/green][/highlight]

[gray]#Check if last command is successful.[/gray]
[b]if[/b] [teal][[/teal] [navy]$?[/navy] -ne [purple]0[/purple] [teal]][/teal]
[b]then[/b]
  echo [green][i]"An error occurred while running the Unreconciled report. Exiting..."[/i][/green]
  [COLOR=chocolate]exit[/color] [purple]11[/purple]
fi
Tested with GNU [tt]grep[/tt]. Other [tt]grep[/tt] implementations may not support -q ( --quiet ) and -i ( --ignore-case ) switches.

Feherke.

razalas said:
$? is the shell variable that stores the last return code
Thanks! I suspected question mark was a return code shell var but searching for "?" wasn't getting me anywhere.

feherke said:
weberm, note that qs is a client application, it not executes the received code. So it is not so sure it has to report the errors found by the server. ( I never used qs, this is based on other similar tools' behaviors. )
Personally I would try to detect the errors based on some specific words in the output
Feherke, qs is another script which invokes plsql:
Code:
echo "$*" |sqlplus -s scott/tiger
There are statements in the shell script which grep for "ORA-" and other key words, so I'm wondering why the original coder used $? in the first place since it appears to doing nothing. [ponder]

Well, your "qs" script may not be returning the return code from [tt]sqlplus[/tt]. You might try changing it to this...
Code:
echo "$*" |sqlplus -s scott/tiger
return $?
That way the script's return code is sqlplus' return code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back