Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing tape drives in a library from AIX 4.3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

agram

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2001
US
Hi All,

We have an AIX 4.3.3 server that is connected to a McData fibre channel switch. There is an ATL library, having 6 SDLT drives, also connected to the switch. We have zoned things fine in the switch that the server is able to see the 6 drives and has created the rmt# devices.

But we are unable to test the connectivity by putting a tape into a drive and doing a
mt -f /dev/rmt0 rewind OR offline
or any such command. It comes back immediately with a message "...input or output error."

How can I test the connectivity between the server and the tape drives?

Also, how can I check to see that the server is able to see the medium changer (robot)? I thought I could use
lsdev -Cc media_changer
but this command does not display anything.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ram

Are the drives defined or available? Look at your errpt to see if any errors are being logged against the drives when you access them.

Did you install the atldd fileset? (ftp service.software.ibm.com under /storage/devdrvr/AIX)

Just for reference, my 3494 silo shows up under "lsdev -Cc tape" as device lmcp0, it doesn't show up when I "lsdev -Cc media_changer"

Yes, I installed atldd fileset. Should I also install the Atape fileset?

The device files are defined in that I can see the /dev/rmt# files for the 6 drives. But if I put a tape in one of the drives and try to do a "mt" command or a "tctl" command with a "rewind" or "offline" I get the "input or output error".

Is there some basic AIX configuration I am missing here?

Thanks

Ram

Do an "lsdev -Cc tape" and have a look at the output.

If the drives are listed in the "defined" state, something isn't quite right. They *should* be listed as "Available".

Try "mt -f /dev/rmtX status", does it work?

I'd go ahead and install Atape as well, but first remove the drives, and rerun cfgmgr after installing Atape, that way the drives get redefined using whatever definitions Atape adds instead of "other tape device".

I am still concerned though about your library interface. If lmcp0 isn't in your tape device list, you may not be able to control your robot. It doesn't configure automatically, it's something you'll have to set up yourself. Do a "ps -ef | grep lmcpd" and see if it's running. Look at /etc/ibmatl.conf but looking at my copy, it may be specific to 3494.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back