Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2006
US
We have a client that wants to install SBS2003 and use Exchange. They are in a shared office environment where the landlord controls all of the internet access.

This user has their own LinkSys router/firewall, and they're able to use Outlook currently without any problems. They have a static IP provided by the landlord (at least it hasn't changed in the past 1.5 years).

I'd like to make sure that they can use Exchange in this environment without any involvement from the landlord. I've opened up ports 6001, 6004, 25, 110, and 135 on their LinkSys, but I can't telnet to them.

Does an application actually have to be running on their computer for me to be able to telnet to it? For example, since I can't telnet to port 135, I don't know if that's because they don't have Exchange sitting there listening on that port, or if the landlord has blocked that (and most other) ports.

How can I tell if it's the landlord blocking those ports, or if it's just because we don't have any apps on the inside actually listening on those ports?

What are all the those ports open for? Do you have external POP clients? You should just need to port forward 25 to your exchange server for email.

If you want to use OWA or RWW you will need 443 open to your exchange server and for RWW you will need 4125. And that should be all unless you have a specific application that calls for another port.

Is this SBS Premium or Standard. If premium you will might have ISA running which will stop your telnet sessions if the ports are not open on it too.

Thanks for the confirmation on the ports... We were really just looking for a way to tell what ports are open, even if there's nothing "actively" listening there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back