Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing outgoing mail - fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

techseek

MIS
Nov 5, 2010
US
Hello
I have installed 2010 and moved a couple of test users MB's.
I am able to receive external, and inhouse to and from exch03 to exch 2010 is fine. However, I cannot send external. I have not made required cutover changes to router/mx records etc. I was just playing around to see how things get done in EMC. A tech associate thinks I should be able to send external.
I created a send connector just to see and in fact I was able to send but then external from 2003 started to fail so I removed the connector, restarted 03 store and things were back to normal.
Is my associate correct? My understanding is that without a send connector, 2010 cannot send mail (that is, the 2003 smtp virt will not send external on 2010's behalf)

Thank you

That's correct. Without a Send Connector, 2010 cannot send mail directly, but you could use the 2003 server's IP as a smart host in a Send Connector to allow you to send out via the 2003 server, then switch it to send out directly once all the mailboxes are migrated.

So outbound from Exchange 2003 stopped working when you created a Send Connector?

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Hello Shackdaddy
Thank you for responding
and for clarifying
and, yes, users started to get bounced emails

Hello Shackdad
I just tried the smart host config and at first it seemed to be working
and then I notice messages starting to collect in Exch2003 deferred delivery queue???

so in order to use 2003 configured as a smart host in my 2010
I have to remove my virtual smtp server (connector) in 2003?
Wouldn't that mess up external send out of 2003?

Ideally all the mail will go out of either the new server or the old one. You don't need it to go out of both. So pick the one you want to use. If you have set up the send connector on the new one, you can remove the one on the old server. If you leave them both, the old server may get confused. It's better if it just routes all mail out via the new server. You can even set the new server's IP as a smarthost on the old server if you want. That's one way to do it.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Increase the cost of the send connector on the new box to stop the 2003 box trying to use it. Presumably the new box is being blocked by a firewall or something as it should work straight away. As soon as you have the EX2010 box sending out OK you can disable the old SMTP connector but do not delete without being sure as inter-exchange version message travel can be very tricky to maintain. Get a mailbox sending external from the new box before you do anything else.

sircles.net Support - find us at:
Henley-on-Thames Computer Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back