Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing connection to a switched off PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leozack

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
GB
Hi all - was wondering if anyone has ideas for this ...
There is a site with dodgy networking and although I have found ping tools that log ping results every minute to a file, this only works if the PCs are on. I'd like to know if connections are going up/down even if a PC is off. As far as I'm aware this eliminates ping. But since you can switch PCs on using their MAC address I thought it might be possible to know if a MAC address exists on the network and thus if there is connectivity to it since they are "always on" with a led light waiting for a wakeup packet. Perhaps there is no way but I had to ask! Without managed switches I can't think of a better way to test networking infrastructure :/

You would be best served to manage this at a switch level as your switch ports will indicate the MAC address of the currently connected device.

Like I said I'm mostly dealing with non managed switches so I can't even ping switches let alone have control panels for them :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back