Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing and compatibilty on M5316 phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats14

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
I have taken over a account that uses m5316 phones a lot. I know they are centrex phones and I have Centrex service from my C.O, but my experience with them is not extensive. but when I want to cross connect these M5316 ports I would like to test them in the phone room first, because the C.O screws up a lot. I plug a test jack into the port the c.o gives me, and plug in the power adapter, but the phone doesnt come up, it shows power and you can get into local programming (time/date etc)but no dial tone. Sometimes I wire it through, and the phone will work at the customer's desk, but not in the phone room! I have a known good phone and power adapter. Also, are M5316's and M2616 phone interchangable? This building has a Option 61 in it, and I dont have access it to it I supsect that some of the Option and Centrex ports got mixed together. Ny ideas would be helpful.

No, the two set types are not interchangable. The 2616 is digital and the 5316 is analog. If the phones are not working in the phone romm but are at the desk then the problem is the jack wiring you're using to test with. Connect the Telco lines to pins 4 and 5 on the RJ11 jack (red and green) or blue and white on a rj48.

Ok, thanks for the information. A further question, I tried to pick up M5316 dial tone with a butt set, because I thought they were analog, but I cant hear anything, is that normal?

I said earlier that they were analog but I meant digital Centrex so you can't test with a conventional butt set. I believe the wiring is polarity-sensitive so try flipping tip and ring if it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back