Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing an email without sending a test email message to the inbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope not. Spammers would love that sort of a tool.

Gavin

Yeah - an smtp server actually has to try to connect to a target host and then send before it can receive a response such as "recipient unknown" or that a server at the domain is not responding, etc.

If you want to find out if the client's Mail Server is online you can telnet to port 110 of their mail server and see if you get a greeting.

This won't do squat to tell you if their mailbox exists, whether it's over it's quota, etc, but at least you can tell the server is online.

Just a thought.

This stuff can be easily enough done, but I really don't think we should be posting these details here.

Unexpected bounces are often the first indication a desktop has been compromised; let's not make it any easier for the sleazeballs to clean their lists.

I'm not saying superslurpee or anyone else is a spammer, but this is a public place, and really the best way to test an email address IS to send a test email. Just because an email server accepts an address doesn't mean the client will get the traffic.

Jock

Yup, I totally agree. I never thought about it from a spammer point of view. I just wanted to see if there was another way to test a client's email address when they tell me their email isn't working. It's a shame people look to exploit things like this. Hackers and spammers really piss me off and I wish they'd get a life already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back