Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

testing a pri line with no PABX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmurado

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2003
AU
Hi, we are waiting to move back into a flooded office.
We are getting a replacement IP500 when we are there-as far as we know, none of the main phone cabling from the MDF to the IDF to our server room was affected-however, i would like to test the PRI line before we move back and before the IP500 is in place-so we know if there is anything we need to do.
How can I test that it is up and running? I can hook up the modem once we get power back. There is a multi line service coming down the PRI.
(No, I am not a phone guy, just the only guy).

Strange request indeed but you would need to either connect to a live PRI circuit or back to back with another IPO or PRI card. However if you have replaced ALL of the hardward then you have little to worry about. You should probably contact an installer to put it in.

Thanks CarGoSki.

The reason I want to test before the new IP500 is in place is that it will not be installed(by the company providing the replacement) until the week before we move in. Now, if there is a problem with the actual PRI then I'd like some buffer time to get it fixed.
The telco's engineers have said that if the modem is in place and has all the appropriate lights on then the link should be good; however they cannot be 100% sure until we can dial in/out etc.

What kind of equipment would someone use to test that a PRI line is up if they didn't have it connected to a PABX?

T-Berd tester. T-1 Bit Error Rate Detector. Telcos use them and they can be pricy. They will use one on site to troubleshoot or verify installation. Put a loop back into the PRI smart jack and have telco test for you. Should be all you need.

Thanks CarGoSki.

I'll ask the installer if they can sapre someone to test the service beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back