Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing a ground start circuit with a Fluke TS19 test set

Status
Not open for further replies.

thephoneguyjoe

Programmer
Oct 16, 2005
US
Hello my friends,

I need to identify and tag ground start circuits feeding an NEC system. I have a Fluke TS19 butset without a gound start cord. I am not currently onsite so I can't test my theory but... can I just make a jumper from my blk "ring" clip and touch a good ground to get the CO to send dialtone? I shouldn't need to break the ground immediately should I?

Thanks, much, Joe

You probably need to hold the ground wire to the Ring lead for about 1 or 2 seconds to draw dial tone.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

what I usually do is take a piece of cross connect wire , one end attached to ground the other end striped back . clip the buttset on the block then rub the ground across one clip

Most of our locations that have ground-start trunks already have a piece of grounded cross-connect hanging there, ready to use.
Mike

WhenI used to test a lot of grd starts I wired the belt clip on the but set to the tip side of line inside the but set. I would just touch the belt clip to ground after going off hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back