Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Testing a butt set without phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

panoramixtx

Technical User
Sep 3, 2008
US
I have an old butt set, and have no idea if it works. I don't have any land line available to test it's functionalities Is it possible to test the butt set without phone line, and if so how.
Tried to google it without success. Very little experience in telephony (more a sever/data center experience)
Thanks

As far as I know, some sort of a landline is needed to test the functionality of a butt set. It can be POTS from the RBOC/LEC or even from a VoIP provider so long as they provide an analog handoff. [ponder]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

You can use a toner to test. Set it foe continuity test and it will provide enough of a talk battery to test for side tone and should be enough to test DTMF of the keypad.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

clip it to a 9V battery (same as connecting to a toner really like budbyrd said)and connect another phone onto it as well then you should be able to talk to each other, hear the touch tones/pulse.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back