Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

test value of a field for 1 line in passwd

Status
Not open for further replies.

raggmopp

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
US
Hi all:

Working with per 5.8.8 on RH5.5. I am building a cgi app that will allow users to add accounts to a remote system that is behind a firewall. There are no interactive accounts except for us admins.

When users put in a name for the account, a check is done to ensure that the account does not already exists. If account does not exist a sub is called to add the new account.

If the account does exist the a message appears on user's screen and a sub is started to change the passwd. However I only want users to be able to change the passwd if the account has a specific gid. If the gid does not match, exit out. (See snippet below.)

So the first test to verify the existence of the account works fine. Now that I have verified that the account exists I want to be able to verify the gid, if it matches '5612' then the users can change the passwd. If the gid does not equal '5612' then the users are presented a message saying they cannot change the passwd. The root account is specifically stated and if they try to change the root passwd via the cgi they are kicked out of the script and the message says "NO" (in much more stern langauge).

So users enter the account name on the first form page, The second page is a verification page for user - "Is this correct?" The third page is the activity.

Does this account exist? YES. Does this account have the /5612/ pattern in the 4th field of the pass file? If YES, change it. If NO, message the user and kick them out. (Prevent users from changing the passwd on any other account that is not gid=5612)

I am copying the passwd file from the remote system so that is why you see 'passwd.$$'. So I am wanting to check the line that contains the account name and verify the 4th field, 3rd field in array.

Any ideas or hints?
Many thanks!

if (!$test) {
print "<br>$sr exists on the system<br>\n";
open(PASS, '/tmp/passwd.$$');
while(<PASS>) {
chomp;
my @fields=split(':', $_);
if (grep {$fields[3] !~ /5612/} @fields) {
print "You cannot change the passwd on system accounts.<br>\n";
print "This is being logged and will be reported.<br>\n";
}
close(PASS);
}
}

if you only want to check if the 4th index of the array equals a value why are you using grep agaist the entire array?

Code:
if($fields[3] != 5612){
  ... message ...
}

if you want to see if there is 5612 in any part of the content of the 4th index then...
Code:
if($fields[3] !~ /5612/g){
  ... message ...
}

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Electronic Dance Music Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back