Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test to see if table is linked

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwalz

Programmer
Oct 31, 2000
US
I have a table with sensitive salary information that is linked into another database on an as needed basis when certain reports are run. Once the report is closed I terminate the link. Is there a function that I can use to test to see if the table is already linked, so that a second instance of the table is not linked in? The database that the table comes from is password protected, but once the inital link is established, additional links do not require the password to be entered. I want to make sure that the table doesn't hang around an make everyone's salary information public.

Thanks,
Janet

Hallo,

How is the linking done? Is it manual?
If it is you could consider automating it. Linking when opening the report and unlinking once the report is finished, maybe from a macro.
It'll never be that secure, but you knew that because you're using MS Access, right?

- Frink

Frink is right. Access really doesn't allow great control of ODBC table links. For the most part Access expects you to create a table link and leave it there. What I would suggest is that you create a static ODBC table link and don't save the password when you create it. The upside is that the table can't be accessed without the password; the downside is that you'll have to provide the password manually everytime the table is accessed by a report or in code.

A more advanced method would be to use ADO since you can connect to a data source, run your code, and disconnect. I actually dislike using ADO in access myself and prefer to use DAO since it's native to Access. I use ADO on the web only.

I've seen lots of table linking code over the years and have given up on using it because I've never found code that does it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back