Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TEST SET, BUTT SET RECOMENDATIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarenot

Vendor
Aug 30, 2003
US
I have been working for myself now for about 6 months, and it is time to consider aquiring some new equipment. I am going to be passing on my butt set to a new trainee worker, and get myself a new one. Yes, I am the boss, so I am going to take the new stuff, lol.

I am considering only butt sets that have speaker phone two way capability, and am thinking about getting one with a headset port for those noisy areas. There are so many capabilities now with the newwer butt sets that I thought I should check with the guys that have bought some with these new bells, and whistles. I have seen some that say they can generate tone, test DSL, and about everything else under the sun. Some of the features I have seen are CLID name and number display, tone generation, built in talk battery option, etc., etc. I do not test DSL but wonder if anyone has any advice on these new butt sets.

I do low voltage wiring voice & data, install phone systems Avaya TDM/IP, troubleshoot wiring, etc.

Tell me what you have, and what you like in the new features.

Stick with one-way capability - you already know how poor half duplex speakerphones sound, and having to hit the mute button everytime you just want ID a bunch of lines is a pain. Also, make sure that the speakerphone will STAY on, that you don't need to re-enable it every time you move your clips from one set of binding posts to another.

My old TS-22 needs repair, so I am using a Chesivale from a few years ago - since aquired by Tempo.

I would only recommend Harris (I think they were bought out by Fluke). The TS-22 and TS-22a is good but the TS-30 I feel is the best. Best feature on it, low battery indicator. But either way make sure you have a set with data lockout.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

I do see the point on the speaker phone deal, I do nto want to have to mute it all the time, nor re-activate it as I slide down a 21X.

One vote for the TS-30

Anyone had the test sets with tone genertor, and other new bells, and whistles in them?

Let me correct myself, I meant TS-42 not TS-30

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

I'll c%P my response from your post in General

I use a harriss (now fluke )ts25d all in all I like it , headset sounded like a good Idea but I never used it .

features include

* Caller ID and Call Waiting Caller ID
* Amplified speakers for hands-free monitoring
* Data lockout and data lockout override
* Tone generator for wire identification
* Talk Battery to power voice conversation on dry (non-powered) lines
* Easy to read oversized liquid crystal display

only a amplified speaker so no two way , (I have a speaker phone I carry and hook up if I expect a lot of tech service speaker phone type needs )

downsides , occasionally it mis dials (push 4 and it dials 44)

when the 9volt battery goes the set is totally non functional

the built in dsl filter is handy.

I like the HD Telecom/Ideal 630. Built in DSL filter and hands free monitor that had its own on/off button. I replaced mine with a Fluke TS44DLX. Nice butt set! [thumbsup2].

I just wish it didn't cost so much. [sad]

For quick stuff, I use my "old work horse" TS21X [bigsmile]

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

I use a Test-Um Ranger. Compact without being too small. Current & voltage readout. OK headset. DSL safe. CID and stores numbers.

Very handy, not waterproof or likely to withstand major drops on concrete.

I also use the Harris TS25D and love the features. Hate the dialpad (must press really hard to NOT get misdial) but love the features.
Mike

mike

I have two 25ds the first I could barley dial , I wouldn up CAREFULLY programing my ANI and other numbers in speed dial and using it like that .

ons sat I stopped at a Garage sale and picked up a 25d and a banjo adapter for $25.00 (couldn't pass it up )

this one works great , only occasionally mis dials it is a newer software release so maybe they have addressed the issue

I too have the Harris TS25D.
I think it's great but am VERY dissappointed with the dial pad and the speaker could definitely be louder.

We do a lot of service work as subs.
For some reason almost all grocery stores put their DMARCs in the compressor room - can't hear a dman thing.
That's when the voltmeter comes in superhandy.
When the line is in use the voltage drops from -48 vDC to less than 10. It also provides a way to visually check for proper operation of a line with DS on it.

This testum seems kind of cool, anyone have experience with it?"

I have used both the Lil Buttie and the Ranger. Like I said before "Very handy, not waterproof or likely to withstand major drops on concrete."

For me the big advantage of the Test-Um sets is size. While large enough to be usable they fit in my toolbox and take up about the same amount of space as a Fluke 77 meter.

The Ranger has a lot of nice features. I use the LCD voltage, current, polarity readouts all the time. The autodialer is loaded with various ANI numbers which along with redial can give your fingers and brain a rest.

Both the Lil Buttie and the Ranger are fairly loud and the standard headset jack works well.

If I was going to spend all day outside on a ladder in the rain I would not want a Test-Um but for normal inside use they are fine.

I have not seen the Tri-Porter. It is curious that anyone would release a 10/100 tool with gigabit becoming more common.

I think it has something to do with this being a verifying ubnti, for many functions, but not designed for certifying. I am not looking at spending thousands for a certifier, just something more than a basic butt set with some additional features, and I like the DTMF capture to be able to see what is being dialed easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back