Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test phone for Digital TN's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikkidee

Technical User
Aug 3, 2009
US
I would like to know if there is a linesman phone (testphone) for the digital TN's.

i've never found one.. i've seen a few attempts at a shop built test box, but nothing that i would trust.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Could you not just carry around a known good spare 2008/3904/etc.? Really the main piece I would be testing for is dial tone/proper operation. I can always go back and change keys or mess with anything that requires more troubleshooting.

Suppose that is what us ameteurs do. Seems to work fine for me.

If you do a search, there are ones that will say "Digital" or "digital compatible", but because of the different manufacturers of digital sets, it's impossible to have a test set correctly emulate all of them. I've not found one yet that will give me dial tone on every digital port. Some, it does, most it won't.

Generally with regular telephone butt set(with modular plug) you can tell if its a good working digital port.
In monitor mode you will hear digital noise, switch to talk and listen for battery.
If you have both, 9 out of 10 you have a good working digital line port.
True you wont know if its programmed or if polarity is correct but you can almost always tell if its a good port by listening to it.

Hi guys, thanks very much for your help on this. I have also not been able to find a testphone which can be specifically used for the Nortel system. Thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back