Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test Modem Connection Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTillner

MIS
Apr 23, 2002
US
HI,

I have a friend with a dial up connection to MSN. She is having problems so I dropped by to check out her situation.

Her modem (sorry, I forgot to get the brand) is a 56K and all dial-up settings appear to be utilizing Maximum speed settings.

However, when she connects to MSN her modem speed drops to around 24K. (No matter what number we dial into).

I haven't had to troubleshoot modem problems for years. I remember there used to be a way to test your connection speed. Is that still true?

I'm trying to figure out if her modem has a problem, or if it's MSN. I'm thinking that her disconnect problems are a result of the slowness of the modem (20-24K most of the time) rather than other issues. At least this is where I'm starting the process to fix her machine.

The computer hardware is a Gateway Windows 98 machine (sorry, I also forgot the model number) and has no custom updates by the user since (original modem, etc).

Thanks for any help!
Lynette

Ah dial up.

Bottom line is, may be as good as it gets. Doesn't matter if it was fine before, this may be just the way it is.

1. Call local telco and have them do a line test.

2. Any new line splitters, fax machines, answering machines, voice mail added to the line, disconnect them.

3. You'll want to research the model modem and the MSN isp, find out if the line she is dialing into is v90, and if her modem supports kflex, or x2 (assuming its a v90 modem). You'll then want to then go to modemhelp.org, and get an initialization string, which instructs the modem to force v90, or kflex, or x2. Instructions are there on how to do it.

4. Still no good, hyperterminal (hypertrm.exe) into 1-888-296-3892. This is a 10 cents a minute at&t v90 line, so don't stay connected too long. Basically as soon as the modem stops negotiating (speaker should be turned on so you can listen to it), you should get a login prompt within a few seconds. If it takes awhile, then might be a line or modem problem. If you don't get a login prompt, this is also a problem. If it connects quickly, then modem and line should be good, and then you might remove dial up network and msn, and reinstall them both.

Post back with results of any of these tests, or if you need help with anything!

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back