Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test King or Mike Meyers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamTFK

Technical User
Apr 30, 2006
While one of my proffessors highly recommended Test King I have heard Mike Meyers review material mentioned many times on this board. I am going for my A+ cert and am not sure which one is better.

I was told that the Test King reviews are very similar to the actual exams...

DreamTFK,

Test Kings are considered "cheating" by MOST posters here at Tek Tips because they tend to be EXACTLY like the exam questions and just lead to a thing called "paper" certs!

Ask YOUR instructor if you can have ALL his final exam questions and answers for all the classes he teaches :)

Do yourself a favor and get the Myers book as well as some real hands-on practice with an old computer. Tear it down and put it back together, install different operating systems so that as you read about it - you are doing it also!

Like I said learning the test with Test King by memorizing a bunch of questions will come back and haunt you when you do not have the skills that the cert says you should have.

Just my thoughts - hope it helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Hey Guys,

How about my case: I currently work in IT in a medium size company. I work with this stuff everyday. I am also going to start doing PC repair on the side. I am studyng for my A+ but want to get it over with as quick as possible. I want to show my potential clients that im certified (Im guessing they would trust a certified person more)I know I would. Thats where test king would come in handy right? Reading the book has helped me a lot though because some questions are about older stuff that I havent seen.

Carlos82,

If you "really" work with the stuff everyday then you should not need the Test King! I have had many students with 15-20 years in IT and I would not let them anywhere near my PC :) When I say "really" I just mean that I know people with years of "OTJ" experience but they "never" touch the hardware!

Read through one of the quick study guides out there and take a practice test and see what you really know! If you do not know it as well as you thought - learn it - DO NOT MEMORIZE questions and answers :)

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I have no problem with people using Test King as a study guide. What I have a problem with is people trusting Test King answers. I fully recommend that if you go the Test King way, look through the answers, and find out the "real" answer. Test King is notorious for incorrect answers.....

I probably should have clarified that I already have an AS degree in Computer Engineering and am working on my BS at the university, I have taken A+ hardware and OS classes and have been working on computers since i was 13...

DreamTFK,

What are you getting your bachelors on?
Once a college advisor told me why get an AS when you could get a bechelor's. But im in the same boat as you, one more semester for my AS, planning on going to get my bachelor's right after im done.

Didn't plan on going to the unversity till I found out that my AS would articulate for my admission into the Information Systems Technology program so now I plan on going all the way.

I am having trouble finding an entry level tech job even with my AS degree b/c I have no "real world" experience so I figured a cert might boost my chance a little bit in finding a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back